11/21/2015

clouds of perfume




fragrant flowers
a crown of butterflies
perfumed with incense





My image is a picture I took in our summer greenhouse in June:
Phlox diverticulata "Clouds of Pefume": the sweetest scented phlox that I know.

==



juniper turns into genever which means gin in Dutch and can be old or young according to its incubation time.
I grew up in a jenever atmosphere even though I never touched the stuff myself.
Seeing the devastating effects of it close-up, I never even dared breathe the fumes off my father's face for fear of turning into an addict myself. Luckily I seem to be missing the gene for addiction [ other than maybe the one for chocolate ].

For the very reason of fearful memories I never took a photograph of the bush that produced juniper berries. So now here a drawing from memory, which doesn't quite seem to have the powerful effect that a ruthlessly accurate photographic image has.

I'm rambling here.

I chose the flowers of the phlox which also have a terrific perfume and are much safer to sniff even though you can't drink them as an extract or flavouring.

juniper berries
wildly intoxicating
flavouring for gin


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Joanna ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Multi uses of Juniper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous07:34

    Not rambling at all .... a very heartfelt post and I'm glad that you were comfortable enough to share this with CDHK.
    This is Paloma btw but blogger isn't cooperating with my comment...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A most interesting post ... I understand about your juniper phobia ... beer and malt are my own and from a similar source. Lovely haiku and great art work. Bastet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your perceptive remarks. I truly appreciate the contact

    ReplyDelete