11/24/2015

the haves and have nots

I was allowed to read Nature for 25 years - then it was abruptly taken away from me.




light of the moon
cleansing dreams of tomorrow's
windswept skies

Waking up in the outdoors - spending day after day half out- half inside, paintbrush in hand one day, weaving my art the next. It was a wonderful life; full of art in action and contemplation. Full of sky, fields, woods and pure aloneness. Days when I saw no human being unless I wanted to. Days when I talked to pheasants, deer, badgers [ they grunt back ], kites and falcons, and the waves of the wheat.

I died my first death when I was returned to the suburbs. Well, hardly suburbs - an age-old Cotswold village on the edge of huge fields. But a village is always full of people who feel they have the right to talk to you.





Now Nature is securely in my head. But I can no longer feel her scent on my skin or hear her sigh or touch her wildness.
Strange that in this day and age to have nothing takes a large fortune. To live a life of modern day deprivation is too expensive these days, because in the UK every wealthy person wants it and there isn't enough wilderness to go round anymore.

2 comments:

  1. You speak with the language of God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wistful and beautifully written - I especially like how the details (the grunts of the badgers, etc) draw the reader into the reality of those days.

    ReplyDelete